The HSEMS Model has been developed by the E&P Forum to:
- Cover relevant Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) issues in a single document.
- Be relevant to the activities of the E&P industry worldwide.
- Be sufficiently generic to be adaptable to different companies and their cultures.
- Recognize, and be applicable to, the role of contractors and subcontractors.
- Facilitate operation within the framework of statutory requirements.
- Facilitate evaluation of operations to an international standard(s) as appropriate.
The E&P (OGP) MODEL describes the main elements necessary to develop, implement and maintain an HSEMS. They do not lay down specific performance requirements, but recommend that companies set policies and objectives taking into account information about the significant hazards and environmental effects of their operations.
The Guidelines may be used as a template by any operating or contracting company seeking to help assure itself and others (such as regulators, neighbours, partners, clients, insurers) of compliance with stated HSE policies within an objective-setting management system.
Furthermore, the Guidelines are intended to support, rather than to suggest replacement of, existing sound, workable and effective company systems and practices.